Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Herr, unser Gott! erhöre unser Flehen, Die sehnend auf zu dir, zu dir, Allgüt'ger, sehen; Herab auf uns sieh', Tröster du, In unser Herz leg' Himmelsruh'! Erfülle uns mit Kraft und Glaubensmuth, Verlass' auf unserm Pfad uns nicht! Es leite uns zu dem, was recht und gut. O Herr, verlass' uns nicht!
Note: This is the text which was published with the first edition of Schubert's Hymnus an den heiligen Geist as op. posth. 154 by Anton Diabelli in 1849. Schubert's manuscript conveys a rather different text.
- possibly by Adolf Anton Schmidl (1802 - 1863) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Hymnus an den heiligen Geist", op. posth. 154, D 948 (1828), published 1849, first performed 1829 [ ttbb quartet, ttbb chorus, and orchestra ], A. Diabelli & Co., VN 8778, Wien; note: two versions (version 1: a cappella, version 2: with wind instruments) [sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Franz Peter Schubert.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Himne a l’Esperit Sant", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Hymn to the Holy Spirit", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Hymne à l'Esprit saint", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2017-12-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-12-08 09:15:38
Line count: 8
Word count: 52
Lord, our God! Hear our prayer, which longs to reach you, to see you, the All-Bountiful; [come] down to see us, Comforting One, in our hearts lies heavenly peace! Fill us with strength and courage of belief, do not abandon us on our way! Lead us to what is right and good oh Lord, do not abandon us!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2015-12-27 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-12-16 08:11:54
Line count: 8
Word count: 58