Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tag voll Himmel! da aus Lauras Blicken Mir der Liebe heiligstes Entzücken In die wonnetrunkne Seele drang! Und, von ihrem Zauber hingerissen, Ich der Holden, unter Feuerküssen, An den süßbeklommnen Busen sank! Goldner sah ich Wolken sich besäumen, Jedes Blättchen auf den Frühlingsbäumen Schien zu flüstern: Ewig, ewig dein! Glücklicher, in solcher Taumelfülle, Werd' ich, nach verstäubter Erdenhülle, Kaum in Edens [Mirtenlauben]1 seyn.
Confirmed with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Tübingen, bei Cotta, 1811, page 7; and with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Neueste, sehr vermehrte und vollständigste Ausgabe. Wien 1815. In Commission bey Cath. Gräffer und Härter, page 7.1 Matthisson (Wien 1815 edition), and Schubert: "Myrthenlauben"
Note: The initial version of this poem, published 1781 and 1783 with the title Laura, is slightly different and has an additional stanza; see below.
- by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Entzückung", appears in Gedichte aus der Schulzeit (1776-1778) [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Encís", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Verrukking", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Rapture", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ravissement", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Melanie Trumbull , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
Heaven-filled day! when from Laura’s gaze, Love’s sacred rapture Flooded my euphoric Soul! And, intoxicated by her magic, I sank, with fiery kisses, to my graceful one, To her sweetly trembling breast! Golden-bordered were the clouds I saw, Every bud of the spring saplings Seemed to whisper: Always, always yours! Happier, in such a frenzied state, Could I hardly be, after [being] covered by dusty earth, In Eden’s [own] myrtle bower.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Entzückung", appears in Gedichte aus der Schulzeit (1776-1778)
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 71