Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Dolce nella memoria! --Petrarca Tag voll Himmel! da, aus Laura's Bliken, Mir der Liebe heiligstes Entzüken In die tiefgerührte Seele drang! Und, von ihrem Zauber hingerissen, Ich der Frommen, unter Feuerküssen, An den süßbeklomnen Busen sank! O! wie da, im seligsten Getümmel Niegefühlter Freuden, Erd' und Himmel Mir Beglüktem ringsumher vergieng! Sanfte Glut durch meine Adern glühte, Aus dem hocherfreuten Auge sprühte, Wenn es schmachtend an dem ihren hieng! Goldner sah ich Wolken sich besäumen, Jedes Blätchen auf den Frühlingsbäumen Schien zu flüstern: Sie ist ewig dein! Glüklicher, in solcher Taumelfülle, Werd' ich, nach verstäubter Erdenhülle, Nur in Edens Mirthenlauben sein!
Confirmed with Lieder von Friedrich Matthisson. Vermehrte Auflage. Dessau, 1783, page 63; and with Friedrich Matthissons Gedichte herausgegeben von Gottfried Bölsing. Band I. Die Gedichte von 1776-1794. Nebst einem Anhang. Gedruckt für den litterarischen Verein in Stuttgart, Tübingen 1912, pages 31-32.
This is the initial version of Matthisson's poem Entzückung; see below.
- by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Laura", written 1776-78, first published 1781 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Set in a modified version by Franz Peter Schubert.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Laura", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2017-07-27
Line count: 20
Word count: 102
'Sweet in memory!' --Petrarch Heaven-filled day, when, because of Laura's gaze, The most sacred entchantment of love Overwhelmed my deeply stirred soul! And, drawn forward by her magic, Under fiery kisses, I approached the pious one And sank onto her sweetly apprehensive breast! Oh! there, in the most blessed turmoil Of joys never felt before, Earth and Heaven Seemed to disappear around me in my happiness! A gentle glow burned through my veins And flashed from my overjoyed eyes When they looked longingly into hers! The clouds appeared to me to be lined with more and more gold, Each little leaf on the spring trees Seemed to whisper, 'She is for ever yours!' Lucky me, this is such a perfect frenzy That I shall not experience anything like it until this earthly husk has turned to dust And I am surrounded by the myrtle leaves of Eden!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Laura", written 1776-78, first published 1781
This text was added to the website: 2017-07-28
Line count: 20
Word count: 148