Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
El puñal entra en el corazón, como la reja del arado en el yermo. No. No me lo claves. No. El puñal, como un rayo de sol, incendia las terribles hondonadas. No. No me lo claves. No.
- by Federico García Lorca (1898 - 1936), "Puñal", appears in Poema del Cante Jondo, in Poema de la soleá, first published 1921 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895 - 1968), "Puñal", from Romancero Gitano, no. 3. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Richard Gard) , "Dagger", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Poignard", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ivo Zandhuis
This text was added to the website: 2005-01-11
Line count: 14
Word count: 37
Le poignard pénètre dans le cœur, comme le fer de la charrue dans la friche. Non. Ne me transperce pas. Non. Le poignard, comme un rayon de soleil, incendie les terribles creux. Non. Ne me transperce pas. Non.
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Federico García Lorca (1898 - 1936), "Puñal", appears in Poema del Cante Jondo, in Poema de la soleá, first published 1921
This text was added to the website: 2016-01-09
Line count: 14
Word count: 38