Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Westron wind, when wilt thou blow [That]1 small rain down can rain. Christ, [that]2 my love were in my arms, And I in my bed again.
1 Stravinsky: "The"
2 Stravinsky: "if"
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author ( 16th century ) , "Westron Wind" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971), "Westron Wind", 1951-2, first performed 1952 [ soprano, tenor, women's chorus, and instrumental ensemble ], from cantata Cantata, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by John Kenneth Tavener (1944 - 2013), "Westron Wind" [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Walter A. Aue) , "Westwind", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "A Ghaoth Aniar", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-23
Line count: 4
Word count: 26
’Ghaoth aniar, an séidfidh tú? Is titfidh báisteach mhion. 'Chríost, ach mo ghrása bheith le m’ais Is í sa leaba liom.
- Singable translation from English to Irish (Gaelic) copyright © 2016 by Gabriel Rosenstock.
This author's work falls under the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) Creative Commons license.
Gabriel Rosenstock.  Contact: grosenstock04 (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2016-01-16
Line count: 4
Word count: 21