Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Se vittorie sì belle han le guerre d'amore, fatti guerrier mio core. E non temer degl'amorosi strali le ferite mortali. Pugna, sappi ch'è gloria il morir per desio de la vittoria.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Se vittorie sì belle", published 1638 [chorus], from Libro VIII: Madrigali guerrieri e amorosi, no. 4, madrigal [text not verified]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Se vittorie si belle", published 1651 [chorus], from Libro IX: Madrigali e canzonette a due e tre voci, no. 3, madrigal [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Si de si belles victoires", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-09-04
Line count: 7
Word count: 31
Si de si belles victoires Ont les guerres d'amour, Deviens un guerrier, mon cœur. Et ne crains pas des flèches d'amour Les blessures mortelles. Combats, en sachant qu'il est glorieux De mourir par désir de la victoire.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-03-04
Line count: 7
Word count: 37