Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Город спит, окутан мглою, Чуть мерцают фонари... Там далёко, за Невою, Вижу отблески зари. В этом дальнем отраженьи, В этих отблесках огня Притаилось пробужденье Дней, тоскливых для меня...
- by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok (1880 - 1921) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Город спит", op. 127 no. 4 [soprano, cello, and piano], from Семь Стихотворений А. Блока: вокально-инструментальная сюита = Sem' stikhotvorenij A. Bloka, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (David Angell) , title 1: "Gloom enwraps the sleeping city", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "La ville dort", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Anne Evans) , title 1: "Gloom enwraps the sleeping city,", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 28
Gloom enwraps the sleeping city, lanterns flickering and pale... Daybreak's distant scintillations gleam beyond the dark Neva. In this faraway reflection, in these glimmerings of flame lay concealed the origin of my forsaken, joyless days...
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2016 by Anne Evans, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-05-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 35