Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
In monte Oliveti oravit ad Patrem: Pater, si fieri potest, transeat a me calix iste; spiritus quidem promptus est, caro autem infirma. Fiat voluntas tua.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Corpus Antiphonalium Officii Vol. IV Responsaria, Versus, Hymni et Varia. Editio Critica. Editum a Renato-Joanne Hesbert Monacho Solesmensi. Casa Editrice Herder - Roma 1970, page 231 (CAO number 6916).
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "In monte oliveti" [ satb chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "In monte Oliveti", op. posth. 113 no. 2, D 696 no. 2 (1820), published 1829 [ satb chorus a cappella ], from Sechs Antiphonen zur Palmweihe am Palmsonntag, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Op de Olijfberg"
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "On the Mount of Olives ", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Au mont des Oliviers", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2011-11-06 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-09-18 13:22:42
Line count: 6
Word count: 25
On the Mount of Olives he prayed to his Father: Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me. The spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak: let your will be done.
- Translation from Latin to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-05-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-05-19 17:02:22
Line count: 6
Word count: 36