Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Здесь Пушкина изгнанье началось И Лермонтова кончилось изгнанье. Здесь горных трав легко благоуханье, И только раз мне видеть удалось У озера, в густой тени чинары, В тот предвечерний и жестокий час — Сияние неутолённых глаз Бессмертного любовника Тамары.
- by Anna Andreyevna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966), "Пушкин и Лермонтов" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by John Kenneth Tavener (1944 - 2013), "Пушкин и Лермонтов", first performed 1993 [soprano and cello or string quartet], from Akhmatova Songs, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Pouchkine et Lermontov", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Pushkin and Lermontov", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2015-01-12
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
Here Pushkin’s exile began And Lermontov's exile ended. Here [I smell] mountain herbs’ gentle fragrance, And only once was I able to see By the lake, in the deep shadow of a plane tree, In that pre-evening and and cruel hour — [the] unquenched fire in his eyes [of the] Immortal lover of Tamara.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Anna Andreyevna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966), "Пушкин и Лермонтов"
This text was added to the website: 2016-06-07
Line count: 8
Word count: 54