Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Abend kehrt in alten Garten; Sonjas Leben, blaue Stille. Wilder Vögel Wanderfahrten; Kahler Baum in Herbst und Stille. Sonnenblume, sanftgeneigte Über Sonjas weißes Leben. Wunde, rote, niegezeigte Läßt in dunklen Zimmern leben, Wo die blauen Glocken läuten; Sonjas Schritt und sanfte Stille. Sterbend Tier grüßt im Entgleiten, Kahler Baum in Herbst und Stille. Sonne alter Tage leuchtet Über Sonjas weiße Brauen, Schnee, der ihre Wangen feuchtet, Und die Wildnis ihrer Brauen.
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Sonja", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Der Herbst des Einsamen [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Heimo Erbse (1924 - 2005), "Sonja", op. 27 no. 2, published 1971 [ baritone and orchestra ], from Fünf Orchestergesänge nach Georg Trakl für Bariton und Orchester, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Sonja", 1993 [ tenor and piano ], from Trakl-Lieder I, no. 4, Mainz, Schott [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Sonja", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Sonia", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2012-03-05
Line count: 16
Word count: 71
Evening sinks on ancient garden; Sonja’s being, deep blue stillness. Birds of passage on their wanderings; balding tree in autumn stillness. Sunflow’r, bent in gentle manner over Sonja’s life of whiteness. Wound, still red and ne’er revealèd, makes her live in darkened chambers, where the azure bells are ringing; Sonja’s step and gentle stillness. Dying beast greets in deceasing, balding tree in autumn stillness. Sun of bygone days is gleaming over Sonja’s brows of whiteness, snowflakes, that her cheeks have moistened and her wildly growing brows.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Sonja", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Der Herbst des Einsamen
This text was added to the website: 2016-06-20
Line count: 16
Word count: 86