Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
"Dort raget ein Berg aus den Wolken her, Ihn erreicht wohl mein eilender Schritt. Doch [dort]1 ragen neue, und immer mehr - Fort, da mich der Drang noch durchglüht." Es treibt ihn vom schwebenden Rosenlicht Aus dem ruhigen, heitern Azur. - Und endlich - waren's die Berge nicht, Es war seine Sehnsucht nur. [Und allgemach rings wird es]2 öd und flach, Und doch [kam]3 er nimmer zurück - O Götter! gebt mir ein Hüttendach Im Thal, und ein friedliches Glück!
Confirmed with Gedichte von Franz von Schober, Stuttgart und Tübingen, J.G.Cotta'scher Verlag, 1842, page 8.1 omitted by Schubert
2 Schubert: "Doch nun wird es ringsum"
3 Schubert: "kann"
- by Franz Adolf Friedrich von Schober (1796 - 1882), "Genügsamkeit" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Genügsamkeit", op. posth. 109 (Drei Lieder) no. 2, D. 143 (1815), published 1829. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Senzillesa", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lotsaanvaarding", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "A feeling of sufficiency", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Simplicité", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-06-26 10:17:25
Line count: 12
Word count: 80
Over there a mountain sticks out over the clouds And my hurried steps lead me up to it. Yet more and more of them tower up Since the drive is still burning inside me. He is propelled by the hovering crimson light That comes out of the calm, clear azure sky. And in the end there were no mountains, There was only his longing. But now all around it is ugly and flat, And yet he can never go back. O gods, give me the shelter of a hut In the valley and peaceful contentment.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Franz Adolf Friedrich von Schober (1796 - 1882), "Genügsamkeit"
Text added to the website: 2016-09-10 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-09-10 08:34:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 95