Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Naht die jubelvolle Zeit[,] Kommt auch mir ein Sehnen; Längst entflohner Seligkeit Denk ich nach mit Tränen. Und ich schaue, wie im Traum, Ihren fernen Schimmer Weben um den Weihnachtsbaum, Kehrt sie selbst auch nimmer.
Confirmed with Wartburgstimmen, Zweiter Jahrgang, 2, 1904, page 352.
- by Friedrich Hermann Frey (1839 - 1911), as Martin Greif, "Weihnachtsgefühl" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudi Stephan (1887 - 1915), "Weihnachtsgefühl", 1905 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Weihnachtsgefühl", WoO. 94 (1899) [ voice, piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Esperit de Nadal", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Christmas mood", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Esprit de Noël", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
When the jubilant time nears I, too, feel a yearning; Of long past bliss I think with tears. And I see, as if in a dream, Its distant shimmer Weaving about the Christmas tree, Even if [the bliss] itself never returns.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Hermann Frey (1839 - 1911), as Martin Greif, "Weihnachtsgefühl"
This text was added to the website: 2016-11-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 42