Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Alle meine Jugendzeit Bin ich Lüsten nachgegangen, Um danach voll Düsterkeit Leid und Schmerzen nachzuhangen. Schmerz und Lüste sind mir nun Ganz verschwistert und durchdrungen; Ob sie wohl, ob wehe tun, Beides ist in eins verschlungen. Ob mich Gott durch Höllenschrei, Ob durch Sonnenhimmel führe, Beides gilt mir einerlei, Wenn ich seine Hand nur spüre.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 214.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Beides gilt mir einerlei", written 1913 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Walter Kraft (1905 - 1977), "Beides gilt mir einerlei", published 1948 [ mixed chorus a cappella ], from Zehn Lieder für gemischten Chor, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walter Müller von Kulm (1899 - 1967), "Beides gilt mir einerlei ", op. 9 no. 3, published 1948 [ voice and piano ], from Sieben Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Franz Schwarz , "Beides gilt mir einerlei ", 1948 [ voice and piano (or orchestra?) ], from Musik des Einsamen, no. 14 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Both are the same to me", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "C'est pour moi indifférent", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-20
Line count: 12
Word count: 55
Throughout my youth I went after pleasures, Afterwards, full of gloom, To indulge in sorrow and pain. For me, pain and pleasures are now Completely related and interpenetrated; Whether they make me feel good or hurt me, Both have become entwined into a single thing. Whether God leads me through the screams of hell Or through sunny heavens, Both are the same to me As long as I only feel His hand.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Beides gilt mir einerlei", written 1913
This text was added to the website: 2017-02-16
Line count: 12
Word count: 72