Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Auf grünem Hügel kniet ein großes Volk in schwarzen Mänteln und zerriss'nen Schuh'n. Die magern Wangen rötet sanftes Blut. Und alle Häupter sind entblößt. Und alle Augen sind geschlossen. Und alle Hände sind gefaltet. Sonne. Sonne. Sonne.
Confirmed with Alfred Mombert, Tag und Nacht. Gedichte, Heidelberg: Verlag von J. Hörning, 1894, page 44
- by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), "Sonne", appears in Tag und Nacht: Gedichte, first published 1894 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ladislav Vycpálek (1882 - 1969), "Sonne", op. 5 no. 5, published 1923, from Visionen: Tuchy a Vidiny, no. 5, also set in Czech (Čeština) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Czech (Čeština), a translation by Ladislav Vycpálek (1882 - 1969) ENG ; composed by Ladislav Vycpálek.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Sun", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Harry Joelson
This text was added to the website: 2007-09-22
Line count: 7
Word count: 38
Upon a green hill is kneeling a great mass of people in black coats and tattered shoes. Their emaciated cheeks are reddened by a gentle blush. And all heads are bare. And all eyes are closed. And all hands are folded. Sun. Sun. Sun.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), "Sonne", appears in Tag und Nacht: Gedichte, first published 1894
This text was added to the website: 2017-05-10
Line count: 7
Word count: 45