Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Wie schön bist du, du güldne Morgenröte, Wie feierlich bist du! Dir jauchzt in festlichen Gesang der Flöte Der Schäfer dankbar zu. Dich grüßt des Waldes Chor, melodisch singet Die Lerch' und Nachtigall, Und rings umher [vom Feld und Wald]1 erklinget Der Freude Widerhall.
1 Schubert (Alte Gesamtausgabe): "von Berg und Thal"
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Lilla an die Morgenröte", D 273 (1815), published 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Lilla a l'aurora", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lilla tot het morgenrood", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Lilla to the red light of dawn", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Lilla à l'aube", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-06-12 03:43:48
Line count: 8
Word count: 44
How beautiful you are, golden dawn, How festive you are! You are hailed in a celebratory song on the flute Played, in thanksgiving to you, by the shepherd. The chorus in the forest greets you, there is melodious singing By the lark and the nightingale, And all around, from hill and dale, can be heard The echo of joy.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2017-05-27 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-05-27 15:45:20
Line count: 8
Word count: 59