Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
»Hast du Lianen nicht [geseh'n]1?« »Ich sah sie zu dem Teiche geh'n.« Durch Busch und [Hecken]2 rennt er fort, Und kommt [zu ihrem]3 Lieblingsort. Die Linde spannt ihr grünes Netz, Aus Rosen tönt des Bachs Geschwätz; Die Blätter röthet Sonnengold, Und Alles ist der Freude hold. Liane fährt auf einem Kahn, Vertraute Schwäne nebenan. Sie spielt die Laute, singt ein Lied, Wie Liebe in ihr selig blüht. Das Schifflein schwanket, wie es will. Sie senkt das Haupt, und denket still [Nur]4 ihn - der im Gebüsche ist, Sie bald in seine Arme schließt.
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Mayrhofer. Wien. Bey Friedrich Volke. 1824, page 10.1 Schubert: "gesehen"
2 Schubert (Alte Gesamtausgabe - AGA): "Hecke"
3 Schubert: "an ihren"
4 Schubert (AGA): "An"
- by Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 - 1836), "Liane" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Liane", D 298 (1815), published 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Liane", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Liane", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Liane", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Liane", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-07-13 07:12:50
Line count: 16
Word count: 93
"You haven't seen Liane, have you?" "I saw her going to the pond." He runs off through the bushes and hedgerows And comes to her favourite place. The lime tree stretches out its green net, The brook's prattling sounds out from amongst the roses, The gold of the sun makes the leaves red, And everything becomes beauteous with joy. Liane is riding on a boat, With faithful swans at the side. She is playing a lute, singing a song About how love is blossoming in her, making her happy. The little ship sways as it goes its own way, She lowers her head and quietly thinks About him, just him, he who is in the bushes And who will soon fold her in his arms.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2017-06-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-06-09 18:39:37
Line count: 16
Word count: 125