Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Des Morgens in dem Thaue, Da ist die Wiese schön, Da glänzen Wald und Aue Und alle Bergeshöhn. Des Morgens in dem Thaue, Da geh ich weit hinaus, Und von dem Hügel schaue Ich in das Thal hinaus. Des Morgens in dem Thaue Da zog mein Schatz in's Thal, Ach Gott, nun glänzt die Aue, Als wären's Thränlein all!
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Otto Roquette, Liederbuch, Stuttgart und Tübingen: J.G. Cotta’scher Verlag, 1852, page 85
- by Otto Roquette (1824 - 1896), "Des Morgens in dem Thaue", appears in Liederbuch, in Käthchen, no. 5, first published 1852 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heinrich Esser (1818 - 1872), "Des Morgens in dem Thaue", op. 46 no. 3, published 1855 [ voice and piano ], from Lieder-Album. 8 Lieder von O. Roquette , no. 3, Mainz, Schott [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hermann Franke (1834 - 1919), "Morgens", op. 6 (Sechs Gesänge für vierstimmigen Männerchor) no. 4, published 1865 [ four-part men's chorus ], Leipzig, Kistner [sung text not yet checked]
- by Gustav Hasse (1834 - 1889), "Des Morgens in dem Thaue", op. 9 (Vier Gesänge) no. 1, published 1874 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Bote & Bock [sung text not yet checked]
- by Johann Heuchemer (1826 - 1858), "Des Morgens, in dem Thaue", op. 4 (Vier Gesänge) no. 3, published 1857 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Ferdinand Sieber (1822 - 1895), "Des Morgens in dem Thaue", op. 118 (Drei Lieder für tiefen Bariton mit Pianoforte) no. 2, published 1880 [ baritone and piano ], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Of a morning in the dew", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-10-02
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
Of a morning in the dew The meadow is lovely, Forest and lea sparkle And all the mountain heights. Of a morning in the dew I wander far out [into the distance] And from the hill I gaze Out into the valley. Of a morning in the dew My beloved travelled off into the valley, Ah God, now the meadow gleams As it if were all tears!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Otto Roquette (1824 - 1896), "Des Morgens in dem Thaue", appears in Liederbuch, in Käthchen, no. 5, first published 1852
This text was added to the website: 2017-08-25
Line count: 12
Word count: 67