Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Es geht ein Wind von Westen, Die Linden stöhnen sehr, Der Mond lugt aus den Ästen In meine Stube her. Ich habe meiner Lieben, Die mich verlassen hat, Einen langen Brief geschrieben, Der Mond scheint auf das Blatt. Bei seinem stillen Scheinen, Das über die Zeilen geht, Vergisst mein Herz vor Weinen Schlaf, Mond und Nachtgebet.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 121.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Der Brief", written 1902 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Beckert , "Der Brief", op. 380 (1947). [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Czelinski (1901 - 1969), "Der Brief", op. 1 no. 3 (1922-49) [voice and piano], note: this opus number is used twice - see "Königskind" [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gottfried von Einem (1918 - 1996), "Der Brief", op. 43 no. 3 (1974) [medium voice and piano], from Leb wohl, Frau Welt, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Casimir von Pászthory (1886 - 1966), "Der Brief", published 1936. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Peter Suitner (b. 1928), "Der Brief", op. 93 no. 10. [baritone and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Süssmuth (1892 - 1943), "Der Brief", published 1928 [four-part mixed chorus a cappella], from Gemischte Chöre, no. 8. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz Zabel , "Der Brief", <<1947 [alto, viola, and violoncello], from Vier Liebeslieder für Alt, Violine, Viola und Violoncello, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The letter", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "La lettre", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-08-13 09:58:12
Line count: 12
Word count: 56
A wind is blowing from the west, The linden trees are groaning mightily, The moon peers from amidst the branches Into my chamber. To my beloved, who has Left me, I have written A long letter, The moon shines upon the page. At its quiet shining, Which passes over the lines, For weeping my heart forgets Sleep, moon and nighttime prayer.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Der Brief", written 1902
Text added to the website: 2017-10-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-10-12 16:13:43
Line count: 12
Word count: 61