Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ein Punkt nur ist der Mensch in [diesem]1 Weltgebäude; Doch oft auch eine Sonn' im eigenen System, Ein reicher Mittelpunkt, aus dem Sich Wärm' und Licht und Freude Beseligend auf das ergießt, Womit er in Verbindung ist. Spendou! so hall's in unserem Verein, Spendou! so dank' ihm jeder Witwe Ruf, Spendou! Spendou! [war]2 dieser Sonnenschein, Als er das Institut der Witwen schuf.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Schubert, first edition: "unsrem"
2 Schubert, first edition: "ward"
- by Johann Hoheisel (1767 - 1841), no title, written 1816 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Rezitativ und Chor", subtitle: "Basso, Chor der Witwen (SSA)", D 472 no. 3 (1816), first performed 1816 [ bass, chorus, and orchestra ], from cantata Kantate zu Ehren von Josef Spendou, no. 3, confirmed with a CD booklet [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Récitatif et chœur", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Malcolm Wren [Guest Editor] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2017-10-16 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-10-28 07:28:54
Line count: 10
Word count: 62
Man is just a dot in the structure of this world; Yet he is often also a sun in his own system, A rich middle point, from whom Warmth and light and joy Are poured out in blessings on all that With which he is connected. Spendou! This is what is heard in our company, Spendou! This is how he is thanked by each widow's cry, Spendou! Spendou! He was the sunshine When he created the Institute for Widows.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Rezitativ und Chor" = "Recitative and chorus"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Hoheisel (1767 - 1841), no title, written 1816
Text added to the website: 2017-10-18 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-10-18 21:07:55
Line count: 10
Word count: 79