Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wald läßt die Blätter sinken, Talnebel hängen schwer, Es hat der Strom kein Blinken, Der Wald kein Rauschen mehr. Da kommt der Sturm gepfiffen Und schüttelt lichtes Haar Und fegt mit festen Griffen Das Land vom Nebel klar. Er schont nicht Laub nicht Äste, Nichts Hübsches ist ihm wert, Der Vogel bangt im Neste, Der Bauer friert am Herd. Räum auf und brich in Scherben, Was nimmer halten mag, Und reiß aus Nacht und Sterben Empor den lichten Tag!
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 224.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "November 1914", written 1914 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Oskar Baumann , "Herbsttag", op. 311 (Hermann Hesse-Lieder, 4. Folge) no. 3 (1947) [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fritz Jöde (1887 - 1970), "Novembersturm", published 1918 [ voice and lute ], from Die bunten Lieder zur Laute gesungen, no. 7 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Nahme , "November", 1949 [ tenor and piano ], from Herbstkantate nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 18 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walter Steffens (b. 1934), "November 1914 ", c1955 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-30
Line count: 16
Word count: 79
The wind causes the leaves to drift down, The mists of the valley hang heavily, The river no longer sparkles, The woods no longer sough. Suddenly the storm comes a-whistling And shakes its bright hair And with a strong grip it sweeps The land clear of fog. It spares neither the foliage nor the branches, Nothing lovely is important to it, The bird cowers anxiously in the nest, The farmer freezes at the hearth. Clean up and break to shards That which shall never hold up, And from out of night and dying Wrench forth the bright day!
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Novembersturm" = "November storm"
"Herbsttag" = "Autumn day"
"November" = "November"
"November 1914" = "November 1914"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "November 1914", written 1914
This text was added to the website: 2017-11-04
Line count: 16
Word count: 98