Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Eco [de'miei]1 lamenti, Cetra fedel, che tenti? Spiegare il mio dolore Non può lo stesso amore. Flebil tu cedi invano All'ingegnosa mano, Querele imiti e pianti Con le corde tremanti. Rispondi a'miei sospiri Con replicati giri; Ma quei, che rende il suono I miei sospir non sono. [Fille l'amato]2 bene Lungi è da [queste arene]3; Spiegare il mio dolore Non puó lo stesso Amore.
Confirmed with Poesie di Giovanni Fantoni toscano fra gli Arcadi Labindo, Pisa, 1800, page 188.1 Glinka: "di miei"
2 Glinka: "Fini amato"
3 Glinka: "questa sirene"
- by Giovanni Fantoni (1755 - 1807), "Alla cetra" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka (1804 - 1857), "Alla cetra", from Due Canzonette Italiane, no. 2, also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael Berridge) , "To the lyre", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2003-11-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-11-13 15:21:18
Line count: 16
Word count: 64
Echo of my laments, faithful lyre, what are you attempting? Explaining my suffering is beyond the power of love itself. Dolefully you yield in vain to the practised hand imitating plaints and sobs with your trembling strings. You respond to my sighs with elaborate turns, but as a bringer of sleep my sighs will not serve. Forget the loved one, great is the distance from this siren, explaining my suffering is beyond the power of love itself.
Note: this is a translation of Glinka's version.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2017 by Michael Berridge, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2017-11-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-11-24 13:56:38
Line count: 16
Word count: 77