Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Vedi quanto [t']1adoro ancora, ingrato. Con [un tuo]2 sguardo solo Mi togli ogni difesa, e mi disarmi. Ed hai cor di tradirmi? e puoi lasciarmi? Ah! non lasciarmi, no, Bell' idol mio: Di chi mi fiderò, Se tu m'inganni? Di vita mancherei Nel dirti addio; Chè viver non potrei Fra tanti affanni.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 9.
The text appears in Didone abbandonata, atto II, scena IV (Didone's aria).1 omitted by Schubert
2 Schubert: "uno"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1724, appears in Didone Abbandonata [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Salieri (1750 - 1825), "Vedi quanto t'adoro ancora, ingrato", 1803 [ voice and piano ], from Divertimenti vocali, no. 9, confirmed with a CD booklet [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Aria", alternate title: "Vedi quanto adoro", D 510 (1816), published 1895 [ voice, piano ], additionally two drafts for earlier versions [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 52
Mira com t'adoro encara, ingrat, només amb un esguard teu em prens totes les defenses i em desarmes. I tens el cor de trair-me? I després deixar-me? Ai! No em deixis, no, bell ídol meu: de qui em refiaré, si tu m'enganyes? La vida em mancarà al dir-te adéu; car no podré viure amb tanta aflicció.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Aria" = "Ària"
"Vedi quanto adoro" = "Mira com t'adoro"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2017 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1724, appears in Didone Abbandonata
This text was added to the website: 2017-12-28
Line count: 12
Word count: 56