Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
CORO: Placido è il mar, andiamo; Tutto ci rassicura. Felice avrem ventura, Sù,sù, partiamo or or'. ELETTRA: Soavi zeffiri Soli spirate, Del freddo borea L'ira calmate. D'aura piacevole Cortesi siate, Se da voi spargesi Per tutto amor.
- by Gianbattista Varesco (1735 - 1805) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Placido è il mar, andiamo", from opera Idomeneo, no. 15 [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Franz Wilhelm Abt.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Collet Dobson Collet)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La mer est paisible, allons", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2017-12-30
Line count: 14
Word count: 37
Chœur : La mer est paisible, allons, Tout ici est rassurant. Nous aurons une heureuse traversée, Allons, allons, partons maintenant. Elettra Doux zéphyrs, Soufflez seulement, Du froid Borée Calmez la colère. D'un souffle agréable Soyez généreux, Que par vous soit répandu Partout l'amour.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2018 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2018-01-03
Line count: 14
Word count: 43