Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Al destin, che la minaccia, togli, oh dio! quest'alma oppressa, prima rendimi a me stessa, e poi sdegnati con me. Come vuoi d'un rischio in faccia ch'io risponda a' detti tuoi? Ah conoscermi tu puoi, e 'l mio cor ben sai qual è.
- by Vittorio Amedeo Cigna-Santi (c1730 - 1795) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Al destin, che la minaccia", K 87 no. 1 (1770), first performed 1770, from opera Mitridate, re di Ponto, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Liberate my oppressed soul", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Du destin qui la menace", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-02
Line count: 8
Word count: 43
Du destin qui la menace Écarte , ô dieu, cette âme opprimée, D'abord rends-moi à moi-même Et ensuite indigne-toi contre moi. Comment veux-tu en face du danger Que je réponde à tes paroles ? Ah tu peux me connaître Et mon cœur, tu sais bien comment il est.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2018 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-12
Line count: 8
Word count: 48