Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Es schlug vom Turm die Mitternacht. Was ist's, daß ich so jäh erwacht? Was pocht in wunderlichem Schmerz Noch halb im Traume mir das Herz? Rings Stille. Keines Windes Hauch, Kein Tier noch Vogel lebt im Strauch, Durchs Fenster mit verhaltnem Schein Der bleiche Himmel sieht herein. Da bricht, des Traumes noch bewußt, Ein Schluchzen mir aus weher Brust. Derweil ich schlief, ging bleich und stumm Der alten Liebe Schatten um.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 107-108.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Nacht im Odenwald", written 1901, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolf Brömel (b. 1877), "Nacht im Odenwald", published 1945-8 [voice and piano], from Hermann Hesse Lieder, no. 22. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fritz Hutter , "Nacht im Odenwald", <<1950. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Christian Knayer (1876 - 1932), "Nächtliches Erwachen" [mezzo-soprano or tenor or baritone and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Schmiedel (b. 1921), "Nacht im Odenwald", 1983. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Schmiedel (b. 1921), "Nacht im Odenwald", 1983. [voice and guitar] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2009-05-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-08-31 17:09:38
Line count: 12
Word count: 71
From the tower midnight tolled. What is it that caused me to waken so suddenly? Why, still half in dreams, does my heart Beat in such strange pain? All around is silence. No breath of wind, No animal nor bird lives in the bush, With a muted radiance the pale sky Gazes in through the window. Then, still aware of the dream, there breaks forth A sobbing from my aching bosom. While I lay sleeping, the shadows of My old love wandered about, pale and mute.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Nacht im Odenwald" = "Night in the Oden forest"
"Nächtliches Erwachen" = "Wakening at night"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Nacht im Odenwald", written 1901, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919
Text added to the website: 2018-05-15 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-05-15 21:19:08
Line count: 12
Word count: 86