Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Si con mis deseos Los tiempos caminaran, Al sol aventajaran Los pasos giganteos, Y mis dulces empleos Celebrará Sevilla, Sin envidiar celosa Amante venturosa La regalada y tierna tortolilla, Que con arrullos roncos Tálamos hace de los huecos troncos.
- by Lope Felix de Vega Carpio (1562 - 1635), appears in La estrella de Sevilla [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Si con mis deseos", op. 90 no. 2 (1935), published 1936 [soprano and piano], from Homenaje a Lope Vega, no. 2, Madrid: UME [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "If with my desires", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Si avec mes désirs", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 11
Word count: 39
If with my desires time were to walk along, giant steps will then surpass even the sun, and Seville shall celebrate my sweet labors, without a fortunate lover jealously envying me, that tender turtledove I received as a gift. So with shrill cooings this turtledove shall make a marriage bed out of hollow trunks.
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Lope Felix de Vega Carpio (1562 - 1635), appears in La estrella de Sevilla
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-29
Line count: 13
Word count: 54