Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Dans le chef poli de Cassandre, Qui pousse d'affreux cris de paon, Pierrot enfonce le trépan, D'un air hypocritement tendre. Le maryland qu'il vient de prendre, Sa main sournoise le répand Dans le chef poli de Cassandre Qui pousse d'affreux cris de paon. Il fixe un bout de palissandre Au crâne, et le blanc sacripant, A très rouges lèvres pompant, Fume - en chassant du doigt la cendre - Dans le chef poli de Cassandre !
- by Émile Albert Kayenberg (1860 - 1929), as Albert Giraud, "Pierrot cruel", appears in Pierrot lunaire, first published 1884 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Otto Erich Hartleben (1864 - 1905) CHI ENG ENG FRE ITA NYN ; composed by Arnold Franz Walter Schoenberg.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Cruel Pierrot", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2003-11-16 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-04-24 11:33:40
Line count: 13
Word count: 76
In Cassander's trim, neat head which utters gruesome peacock's cries, Pierrot drills into his skull with a hypocritically tender aura. He has just obtained Maryland tobacco, which his sly hand now doth spread upon Cassander's trim, neat head which utters gruesome peacock's cries. He fixes a scrap of rosewood upon his skull, and the white braggart, pumping up his very red lips, Smokes, chasing the ashes with his finger-- Straight into Cassander's trim, neat head!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Émile Albert Kayenberg (1860 - 1929), as Albert Giraud, "Pierrot cruel", appears in Pierrot lunaire, first published 1884
Text added to the website: 2018-07-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-07-12 01:21:34
Line count: 13
Word count: 75