Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
In ihrem [schönsten]1 Kleide Stehn alle Bäume gelb und rot, Sie sterben einen leichten Tod, Sie wissen nichts von Leide. Herbst, kühle mir das heiße Herz, Daß es gelinder schlage Und still durch goldene Tage Hinüberspiele winterwärts.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 169.1 Ruck: "schönen"
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Oktober", subtitle: "(1908)", written 1908 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Oktober" [voice and piano], from Lieder für Gesang und Klavier nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt , "Oktober" [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Egon Kornauth (1891 - 1959), "Oktober", op. 22 (Lieder nach Hermann Hesse) no. 3, published 1920. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Edmund Nick (1891 - 1974), "Oktober", published 1925 [voice and piano], from Fünf Lieder für Gesang und Klavier, no. 4, missing [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Ruck (1897 - 1983), "Oktober", op. 112 (Sechs Lieder) no. 2 (1948). [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Peter Suitner (b. 1928), "Oktober", op. 115h. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Herbert Thienemann (1884 - 1963), "Oktober", published 1926 [voice and guitar or lute], from Durch Jahr und Tag - Lieder zur Gitarre (Laute), no. 33. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "October", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Octobre", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2009-05-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-10-03 11:33:21
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
In their [most beautiful]1 garment All the trees stand yellow and red, They die an easy death, They know nothing of suffering. Autumn, cool my heated heart That it may beat more gently And quietly through golden days Play its way towards winter.
1 Ruck: " beautiful"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Oktober", subtitle: "(1908)", written 1908
Text added to the website: 2018-11-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-11-12 12:32:04
Line count: 8
Word count: 43