Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Una paloma blanca Como la nieve Me ha picado en el pecho, Como me duele! Mas allá de la vida He de quererte, Que amor está en el alma, Y esa no muere. Dicen que sueño es muerte, Ma yo lo niego, Pues cuando duermo, vivo, Cuando no, muero.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Una paloma blanca", WoO. 158a (23 Lieder verschiedener Völker) no. 19 (1816). [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "A white dove", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Une colombe blanche", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Ein weißes Täubchen", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2006-10-03
Line count: 12
Word count: 49
A white dove, Like the snow,1 Has pecked me on the chest, How it hurts [me]! Beyond [the bounds of] life I have to love you, [Since] love is in [my] soul, And does not die. They say that dreaming is death, But I deny it, As when I sleep, I live, When I don’t, I die.
1 Or "A dove, white as the snow,"
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2018 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2018-11-12
Line count: 12
Word count: 57