Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Warm in dunkler Gartenkühle Schweben bunte Ampelreihn, Senden aus dem Laubgewühle Zart geheimnisvollen Schein. Eine lächelt hell zitronen, Rot und weiße lachen feist, Eine blaue scheint zu wohnen Im Geäst wie Mond und Geist. Eine plötzlich steht in Flammen, Zuckt empor, ist rasch verloht... Schwestern schauern still zusammen, Lächeln, warten auf den Tod: Mondblau, Weingelb, Sammetrot.
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 300.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Lampions in der Sommernacht", written 1929 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Martha Ernst (1880 - 1958), "Papierlaternen im nächtlichen Garten", published 1929, from Zwei Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Lothar Hundertmark (1902 - 1985), as Mark Lothar, "Lampions in der Sommernacht", op. 67 no. 5, published 1967 [ voice and instrumental ensemble ], from Musik des Einsamen - Ein Liederzyklus für Gesang und 7 Instrumente, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Marx (1897 - 1985), "Lampions in der Sommernacht ", op. 66 no. 2 [ three-part women's chorus a cappella ], from Drei Gedichte von Hermann Hesse für Frauenchor, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Lampions in der Sommernacht" [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-05
Line count: 13
Word count: 56
Warm in the dark coolness of the garden Colourful rows of lights hover; From the tangle of the foliage They send forth a secret-laden glow. One shines brightly lemon-coloured, Red and white ones laugh stoutly, A blue one seems to inhabit The branches like a moon and a spirit. One suddenly stands in flames, Twitches upward, is quick burned up . . . With a shudder, its sisters huddle up together, Smile, wait for death: Moon-blue, wine-yellow, velvet-red.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Papierlaternen im nächtlichen Garten" = "Paper lanterns in the nighttime garden"
"Lampions in der Sommernacht" = "Lanterns in the summer night"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Lampions in der Sommernacht", written 1929
This text was added to the website: 2019-01-16
Line count: 13
Word count: 78