Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wälder stehen, See und Land Wie in alten Kinderzeiten, Und es ruhen alle Weiten Friedevoll in Gottes Hand. Eine stille Stunde lang Kann ich so verzaubert schauen, Und es schläft der alte Drang Und es schläft des alte Grauen. Doch ich weiß: die jetzt gebannt, Werden balde auferstehen, Und ich muß im grünen Land Als ein Gast und Fremdling gehen.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 147.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Landschaft", written 1910, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Gress (1893 - 1988), "Landschaft", op. 85 no. 1, published 1950. [voice, oboe, and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Landschaft", op. 24 no. 4 [medium voice and piano], from Acht vermischte Lieder für mittlere Singstimme und Klavier nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Scholz , "Landschaft", <<1958. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Landscape", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Paysage", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Pierre Mathé [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2013-03-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 60
The forests stand, lakes and countryside As in the olden times of childhood, And all the broad expanses rest Peacefully in God’s hand. For the span of a quiet hour I can gaze [upon them] so enchanted, And the old striving sleeps And the old dread sleeps. But I know: they who are now held in a spell Shall soon come to life, And in the green landscape I must Walk as a guest and a stranger.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Landschaft", written 1910, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911
This text was added to the website: 2019-01-16
Line count: 12
Word count: 77