Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wieder seh ich Schleier sinken, Und Vertrautestes wird fremd, Neue Sternenräume winken, Seele schreitet traumgehemmt. Abermals in neuen Kreisen Ordnet sich um mich die Welt, Und ich seh mich eiteln Weisen, Als ein Kind hineingestellt. Doch aus früheren Geburten Zuckt entfernte Ahnung her: Sterne sanken, Sterne wurden, Und der Raum war niemals leer. Seele beugt sich und erhebt sich, Atmet in Unendlichkeit, Aus zerrißenen Fäden webt sich Neu und schöner Gottes Kleid.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 231.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Neues Erleben", written 1914 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Krause (1889 - ?), "Neues Erleben", op. 46 no. 10, published 1967 [ voice and piano ], from Zehn Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Christine Triacca-Kalisch (1887 - 1969), "Neues Erleben ", <<1939 [ soprano and piano ], from Zwei Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "New Experience", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Nouvelle expérience", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-20
Line count: 16
Word count: 72
Once again I see veils falling, And the most familiar becomes strange, New expanses of stars beckon, The soul strides, held back by dreams. Once more in new circles The world arrays itself around me, And I see myself as a child Standing among nothing but wise men. But from earlier birthings A distant intimation flickers hither: Stars subsided, stars were born, And the universe was never empty. The souls bows down and rises up, Breathes within the unending, From torn threads God’s garment Weaves itself anew and more beautifully.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Neues Erleben", written 1914
This text was added to the website: 2019-04-13
Line count: 16
Word count: 90