Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tornate sereni begli astri d'amore; la speme baleni [fral]1 vostro dolore; se mesti girate, mi fate morir. Oh dio, lo sapete, voi soli al mio core, voi date e togliete la forza e l'ardir.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Achille in Sciro, by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi, Vienna, van Ghelen, 1736, lines 1100-1109.1 Mendelssohn: "fra il"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Achille in Sciro [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Tornate sereni, beglia astri d'amore", 1759, first performed 1759 [ 2 flutes, 2 bassoons, strings, soprano voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847), "Ch'io t'abbandono in periglio sì grande", 1825 [ voice and piano ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2019-11-27
Line count: 10
Word count: 34
Soyez sereines, Beaux astres d'amour ; L'espoir éclaire Dans votre chagrin : Si tristement vous vous détournez, Vous me faites mourir. Oh Dieu ! Vous le savez, Vous seuls, à mon cœur, Pouvez donner et retirer La force et le courage.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2020 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Achille in Sciro
This text was added to the website: 2020-03-02
Line count: 10
Word count: 41