Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Coperta la frode di lana servile, si fugge, e detesta, e inganno s'appella. Si chiama con lode prudenza virile s'avvien che si vesta di spoglia più bella.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "Coperta la frode", HWV 33 no. 4, from opera Ariodante, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "When fraud is covered", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 27
When one covers up fraud with simple wool, one flees it, and reviles it, and calls it a swindle. But it’s praised as cautious and virile if it happens to be clad in more beautiful attire.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2020-04-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 36