Sfogava con le stelle un'infermo d'Amore sotto notturno ciel il suo dolore, e dicea fisso in loro: O imagini belle del'idol mio ch'adoro si com'a me mostrate, mentre cosi splendete, la sua rara beltate cosi mostrast'a lei i vivi ardori miei la fareste col vostr'aureo sembiante pietosa si come me fat'amante.
- sometimes misattributed to Ottavio Rinuccini (1562 - 1621) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giulio Caccini (1546 - 1618), "Sfogava con le stelle", published 1601, from Le nuove musiche, no. 9. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Sfogava con le stelle", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 4, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sven Wifstrand) , "One who was lovesick", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Se confiant aux étoiles", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sven Wifstrand
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 51