Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sfogava con le stelle un'infermo d'Amore sotto notturno ciel il suo dolore, e dicea fisso in loro: O imagini belle del'idol mio ch'adoro si com'a me mostrate, mentre cosi splendete, la sua rara beltate cosi mostrast'a lei i vivi ardori miei la fareste col vostr'aureo sembiante pietosa si come me fat'amante.
- sometimes misattributed to Ottavio Rinuccini (1562 - 1621) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giulio Caccini (1546 - 1618), "Sfogava con le stelle", published 1601, from Le nuove musiche, no. 9. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Sfogava con le stelle", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 4, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sven Wifstrand) , "One who was lovesick", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Se confiant aux étoiles", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sven Wifstrand
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 51
Se confiant aux étoiles, un malade d'amour, sous le ciel nocturne, exprimait sa douleur, et il disait en les regardant : Ô belles images de l'idole que j'adore, comme vous me montrez, quand vous brillez, sa rare beauté, de même montrez-lui mes vives ardeurs. Vous la ferez avec votre apparence auréolée compatissante comme vous m'avez fait amoureux.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-02-28
Line count: 12
Word count: 57