Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Te vi un punto y flotando ante mis ojos la imagen de tus ojos se quedó, como la mancha oscura orlada en fuego que flota y ciega si se mira al sol. Adondequiera que la vista fijo torno a ver sus pupilas llamear; mas no te encuentro a tí, que es tu mirada, unos ojos, los tuyos, nada más. De mi alcoba en al angulo los miro desasidos fantásticos lucir: cuando duermo los siento que se ciernen de par en par abiertos sobre mí. Yo sé que hay fuegos fatuos que en la noche llevan al caminante a perecer: yo me siento arrastrado por tus ojos, pero adónde me arrastran no lo sé.
- by Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, né Gustavo Adolfo Domínguez Bastida (1836 - 1870), appears in Rimas, no. 14 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Rima", op. 26 no. 3 (1923), published 1923 [ soprano and piano ], from Tres arias, no. 3, Madrid : UME [sung text checked 2 times]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "Poem", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Rime", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Barbara Miller , Garrett Medlock [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2004-04-18
Line count: 16
Word count: 113
I saw you, a spot, and floating before my eyes the image of your eyes remained, like the dark stain trimmed [with] fire which floats and blinds [you] if [you look] at the sun. Wherever [my] sight focuses, I turn to see your pupils blazing; but I do not find you, it is your gaze, [a pair of] eyes, your eyes, [and] nothing more. From my bedroom in the corner I watch them shine, freely, fantastically: when I sleep I feel them loom, wide-open, over me. I know that there are fatuous flames which in the night take the walker to perish: I feel myself pulled by your eyes, but I know not where they are pulling me.
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2020 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, né Gustavo Adolfo Domínguez Bastida (1836 - 1870), appears in Rimas, no. 14
This text was added to the website: 2020-06-28
Line count: 16
Word count: 118