Κατθνάισκει, Κυθέρη᾽, ἄβρος Ἄδωνις∙ τί κε θεῖμεν; καττύπτεσθε, κόραι, καὶ κατερείκεσθε κίθωνας.
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE), "Κατθνάισκει, Κυθέρη᾽, ἄβρος" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , copyright © ENG ENG FRE RUS ; composed by Luigi Dallapiccola.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , "Плач по Адонису", appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) [an adaptation] ENG FRE ITA ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-01-04
Line count: 2
Word count: 12