Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Κατθνάισκει, Κυθέρη᾽, ἄβρος Ἄδωνις∙ τί κε θεῖμεν; καττύπτεσθε, κόραι, καὶ κατερείκεσθε κίθωνας.
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE), "Κατθνάισκει, Κυθέρη᾽, ἄβρος" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , copyright © ENG ENG FRE RUS ; composed by Luigi Dallapiccola.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , "Плач по Адонису", appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) [an adaptation] ENG FRE ITA ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-01-04
Line count: 2
Word count: 12
Il est mort, déesse de Cythère, le délicat Adonis, qu'allons-nous faire ? jeunes filles frappez-vous et déchirez vos tuniques.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Aeolic Greek to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Aeolic Greek by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE), "Κατθνάισκει, Κυθέρη᾽, ἄβρος"
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-29
Line count: 2
Word count: 19