Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun ist die Jugend schon verschäumt Und ohne Wiederkehr versunken, Ein Teil versonnen und verträumt, Ein Teil verbummelt und vertrunken. Und die doch kaum mein eigen war, Die Welt der Lieder und der Sterne, Ward über Nacht mir wunderbar Zu Heimweh, Traum und blauer Ferne.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 75-76.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Wende", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "Wende", op. 15 (Elf Lieder) no. 9, published 1922 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Wende", op. 42a no. 12 (1977) [ medium voice and piano ], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 12 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alfred Toepler (1888 - 1969), "Wende", published 1958 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ], from Fünf Sprüche für Männerchor a cappella, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Reversal", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Tournant", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
Now youth has already disappeared like foam And passed away without [the hope of] returning, A portion passed pensively and dreamily, A portion was dawdled away and passed in carousing. And [the world] that was only just my own, The world of songs and stars -- Wondrously, overnight, it turned for me To homesickness, dream and blue distance.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Wende", written 1901
This text was added to the website: 2019-05-01
Line count: 8
Word count: 57