Luci serene e chiare, Voi m'incendete, voi, ma prova il core Nell'incendio diletto, non dolore. Dolci parole e care, Voi mi ferite, voi, ma prova il petto Non dolor nella piaga, ma diletto. O miracol d'Amore! Alma che è tutta foco e tutta sangue Si strugge e non si duol, more e non langue.
About the headline (FAQ)View text with footnotes
- by Ridolfo Arlotti (1546 - 1613), no title, written 1603 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Bruce Adolphe (b. 1955), "Luci serene e chiare", first performed 2001 [soprano and piano], from A Thousand Years of Love, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613), "Luci serene e chiare", published 1596. [SSATB chorus a cappella] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Luci serene e chiare", published 1603 [vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 8, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Morten Lauridsen.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bruce Adolphe) , "Eyes serene and clear", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Yeux sereins et clairs", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Heitere, funkelnde Augen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 54