Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Luci serene e chiare, Voi m'incendete, voi, ma [prova il]1 core Nell'incendio diletto, non dolore. Dolci parole e care, Voi mi ferite, voi, ma prova il petto Non dolor [nella]2 piaga, ma diletto. O miracol d'Amore! Alma [che è]3 tutta foco e tutta [sangue]4 Si [strugge e]5 non si duol, [more e]6 non langue.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Adolphe, Monteverdi: "prov'il", passim.
2 Adolphe, Monteverdi: "ne la"
3 Adolphe, Monteverdi: "ch'è"
4 Monteverdi: "sange"
5 Monteverdi: "strugg'e"
6 Adolphe: "mor' e"; Monteverdi: "muor e"
- by Ridolfo Arlotti (1546 - 1613), no title, written 1603 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Bruce Adolphe (b. 1955), "Luci serene e chiare", first performed 2001 [soprano and piano], from A Thousand Years of Love, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613), "Luci serene e chiare", published 1596. [SSATB chorus a cappella] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Luci serene e chiare", published 1603 [vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 8, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Morten Lauridsen.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bruce Adolphe) , "Eyes serene and clear", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Yeux sereins et clairs", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Heitere, funkelnde Augen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 54
Yeux sereins et clairs, Vous m'enflammez, vous, mais le cœur éprouve le plaisir dans les flammes, pas la douleur. Douces et chères paroles, vous me blessez, vous, mais le sein éprouve non pas la douleur dans la plaie, mais le plaisir. Ô miracle d'Amour ! L'âme qui est toute en feu et toute en sang Ne ressent aucune douleur,ne meurt ni ne languit.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Ridolfo Arlotti (1546 - 1613), no title, written 1603
This text was added to the website: 2013-02-28
Line count: 9
Word count: 63