Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie der Quell so lieblich klinget Und die zarten Blumen küßt, Wie der Fink im Schatten singet Und das nahe Liebchen grüßt! Wie die Lichter zitternd schweifen Und das Gras sich grün erfreut, Wie die Tannen weithin greifen Und die Linde Blüten streut! In der Linde süß Gedüfte, In der Tannen Riesellaut, In dem Spiel der Sommerlüfte Glänzet sie als Frühlingsbraut. Aber Waldton, Vogelsingen, Duft der Blüten, haltet ein, Licht, verdunkle, nie gelingen Kann es euch, ihr gleich zu sein!
- by Johann Ludwig Tieck (1773 - 1853) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Felix Mendelssohn (1809 - 1847), "Minnelied", op. 47 (Sechs Lieder) no. 1 (1839) [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Cançó d'amor", copyright © 2023, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Minnelied", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Carl Johengen) , "Love song", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Mercedes Vivas) , "Canción de amor", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 80
How the fountain so lovely sounds and kisses the tender flowers, how the finch in the shade sings and greets the nearby sweetheart! How the lights curve trembling and the grass rejoices in its green, how the firs reach out far and the lime tree strews its blooms! In the lime tree's sweet fragrance, in the firs loud rustling, in the play of summer air She appears as a spring bride. But forest sounds, birdsong, Fragance of blooms, cease, light, die away, you can never Be like unto her!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2003 by Carl Johengen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Ludwig Tieck (1773 - 1853)
This text was added to the website: 2004-01-26
Line count: 16
Word count: 89