Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Da hab' ich gar die Rose aufgegessen, Die sie mir in die starre Hand gegeben! Daß ich noch einmal würde Rosen essen, Hätt nimmer ich geglaubt in meinem Leben! Ich möcht' nur wissen, ob es eine rote, Ob eine weiße Rose das gewesen? Gib täglich uns, o Herr! von deinem Brote, Und wenn du willst, erlös' uns von dem Bösen!
- by Gottfried Keller (1819 - 1890), appears in Gesammelte Gedichte, in Lebendig begraben, no. 8 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Da hab' ich gar die Rose aufgegessen", op. 40 no. 8 (1926) [bass or baritone, mixed chorus, and orchestra], from Lebendig begraben: 14 Gesänge nach der gleichnamigen Gedichtfolge von Gottfried Keller, no. 8, Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by James Joyce (1882 - 1941) , no title FRE ; composed by Samuel Barber.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Martin Stock) , "And after all, I even ate the rose", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Alors j'ai même mangé la rose", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 60
And after all, I even ate the rose The one they lay in my stiff hand! That I would ever eat roses - I never would have thought it in my life! The only thing I'd like to know is: was it red or white a rose I ate - Day by day give us of Your bread, oh Lord, And, if You may, keep us away from the Evil one!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2004 by Martin Stock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Gottfried Keller (1819 - 1890), appears in Gesammelte Gedichte, in Lebendig begraben, no. 8
This text was added to the website: 2004-04-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 71