Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Amarilli, mia bella, Non credi, o del mio cor dolce desio, D'esser tu l'amor mio? Credilo pur: e se timor t'assale, [Dubitar non ti vale.]1 Aprimi il petto e vedrai scritto in core: Amarilli, Amarilli, Amarilli è il mio amore.
1 or "prendi questo mio strale"
- possibly by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- possibly by Alessandro Guarini  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Giulio Caccini (1546 - 1618), "Amarilli, mia bella", published 1601, from Le nuove musiche, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Scott Gendel (b. 1977), "Amarilli, mia bella ", 2002-2013 [ voice and piano ], from Italian Art Songs & Arias, Reimagined, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Katherine McGuire) , "Amaryllis, my lovely one", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , "Amarilli, beloved", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Amaryllis, ma belle", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Amaryllis, meine Schöne", copyright © 2001, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Amairillín, Ó, a Stóirín", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Débora Letícia Batista) , "Amarilli, minha bela", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Aminta Iriarte) , "Amarili, mi bella", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Diego S. Loyola) , "Amarilli", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
Amaryllis, meine Schöne, glaubst du nicht, du meines Herzens süßes Verlangen, meine Liebe zu sein? Glaube es doch: und wenn dich die Angst überkommt, lohnt der Zweifel nicht. Öffne mir das Herz und du wirst in ihm geschrieben sehen: Amaryllis ist meine Liebe.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2001 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Italian (Italiano) possibly by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612) and possibly by Alessandro Guarini
This text was added to the website: 2004-05-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 44