Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Amarilli, mia bella, Non credi, o del mio cor dolce desio, D'esser tu l'amor mio? Credilo pur: e se timor t'assale, [Dubitar non ti vale.]1 Aprimi il petto e vedrai scritto in core: Amarilli, Amarilli, Amarilli è il mio amore.
1 or "prendi questo mio strale"
- possibly by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- possibly by Alessandro Guarini  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giulio Caccini (1546 - 1618), "Amarilli, mia bella", published 1601, from Le nuove musiche, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Scott Gendel (b. 1977), "Amarilli, mia bella ", 2002-2013 [ voice and piano ], from Italian Art Songs & Arias, Reimagined, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Katherine McGuire) , "Amaryllis, my lovely one", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , "Amarilli, beloved", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Amaryllis, ma belle", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Amaryllis, meine Schöne", copyright © 2001, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Amairillín, Ó, a Stóirín", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Débora Letícia Batista) , "Amarilli, minha bela", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Aminta Iriarte) , "Amarili, mi bella", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Diego S. Loyola) , "Amarilli", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-10-28 13:36:07
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
Amaryllis, ma belle, Ne crois-tu pas, ô doux désir de mon cœur, Que tu es mon amour ? Crois-le donc ; et si la crainte t'assaille, Douter n'en vaut pas la peine. Ouvre mon sein et vois écrit dans mon cœur : Amaryllis, Amaryllis, Amaryllis Est mon amour.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) possibly by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612) and possibly by Alessandro Guarini
Text added to the website: 2016-03-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-08-21 22:05:56
Line count: 8
Word count: 48