Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Aspice, Domine, quia facta est desolata civitas plena divitiis: sedet in tristitia; non est qui consoletur eam nisi tu, Deus noster.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , Liturgical text [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by William Byrd (1542?3? - 1623), "Aspice Domine quia facta est", published 1575, from Cantiones Sacrae, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Zie toe, Heer, want verlaten is geworden", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (David Wyatt) , "Behold, O Lord", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: David Wyatt
This text was added to the website: 2012-07-05
Line count: 3
Word count: 21
Zie toe, Heer, want verlaten is geworden de stad vol rijkdom: zij zit neer in droefheid; geen is er die haar troost, tenzij Gij, onze God.
- Translation from Latin to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2020 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Lau Kanen.  Contact: lcpkanen (AT) gmail (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
This text was added to the website: 2020-02-24
Line count: 3
Word count: 26