Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Herz ist leer, Ich liebe dich nicht mehr. Erfülle mich! Ich rufe bitterlich nach dir. Im Traume zeig dich mir und neig dich zu mir her! Erfülle mich mit dir auf ewiglich! Ich trag's nicht mehr. -- Ich liebe dich zu sehr.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), no title, appears in Nachlese zu ein Sommer [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Mein Herz ist leer", op. 60 no. 1, from Lieder der Liebe I, no. 1, also set in Finnish (Suomi) [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Wohlgemuth (1920 - 2001), "Mein Herz ist leer" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Finnish (Suomi), a translation by V. Arti (Kaarlo Väinö Valve) (1885 - 1963) ENG FRE ; composed by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "My heart is empty", copyright © 2016
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Mon cœur est vide", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 42
My heart is empty; I love you No more. Fulfill me! I cry out bitterly to you. In my dreams, show yourself to me and lean against me! Fulfill me With your [love] Forever! I can bear it no longer. -- I love you Too much.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), no title, appears in Nachlese zu ein Sommer
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-25
Line count: 16
Word count: 45