Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wir sitzen im Dunkeln... Der Vorhang rauscht leise... Sternblumenkreise durchs Fenster funkeln. Wir träumen und trinken die ewige Ruh... Unsere Wesen sinken schweigend sich zu.
- by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "Wir sitzen im Dunkeln" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Wir sitzen im Dunkeln", op. 60 no. 4 (1928), from Lieder der Liebe I, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "We sit in darkness", copyright © 2016
Researcher for this text: Dave Benson
This text was added to the website: 2004-07-05
Line count: 5
Word count: 25
We sit in darkness... The curtain rustles gently... The flower-like circles of the stars glint through the window. We dream and drink eternal peace... Our beings ease silently into one another.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "Wir sitzen im Dunkeln"
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-25
Line count: 5
Word count: 31