Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
by James Russell Lowell (1819 - 1891)
Into the sunshine
Into the sunshine, Full of the light, Leaping and flashing From morn till night; Into the moonlight, Whiter than snow, Waving so flower-like When the winds blow; Into the starlight Rushing in spray, Happy at midnight, Happy by day; Ever in motion, Blithesome and cheery, Still climbing heavenward, Never aweary; Glad of all weathers, Still seeming best, Upward or downward. Motion thy rest; Full of a nature Nothing can tame, Changed every moment, Ever the same; Ceaseless aspiring, Ceaseless content, Darkness or sunshine Thy element; Glorious fountain. Let my heart be Fresh, changeful, constant, Upward, like thee!
About the headline (FAQ)View text with footnotes
- by James Russell Lowell (1819 - 1891), "The Fountain", from Poems, first published 1844 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Henry Leland Clarke (1907 - 1992), "Into the Sunshine", published 1916 [ high voice or medium voice, piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Henry Kimball Hadley (1871 - 1937), "The Fountain" [sung text not yet checked]
- by William Gardiner Hammond (1874 - 1945), "Song of the Fountain", published 1908 [ high voice or low voice, piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wilhelm Ludwig Kaun (1863 - 1932), "The Fountain" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Harvey Worthington Loomis (1865 - 1930), "The Fountain" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Lucien H. Southard (1827 - 1881), "The Fountain", published 1854 [ voice, piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Richard Stöhr (1874 - 1967), "The Fountain", op. 91 (Twelve Songs) no. 4 (1943-1944) [ voice and piano ], unpublished; manuscript at Saint Michael's College Archives and available in scanned form at the Petrucci Music Library [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Samuel Prowse Warren (1841 - 1915), "The Fountain" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Harold Ernest Watts , "The fountain", published 1936 [ unison chorus, piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Johann Winkler
This text was added to the website: 2005-03-17
Line count: 32
Word count: 97